S.a.d springs when Fall arrives..

There is nothing more beautiful than the change of seasons that this beautiful state has to offer.  Nothing.  The gorgeous daytime temperatures with no humidity, and the brisk night air that lets you know that old man winter is right around the corner.  The joy of knowing the holiday season is near and that time with loved ones  singing, eating, snuggling, laughing, rejoicing, and praising God for the everyday blessings of one another is so close you could touch it will be upon us shortly becomes all too exciting to bear.

Then there are those of us who must prepare for this time of year.  We have to prepare ahead of time for when the days start to get shorter, and the temperatures start to cool.  It is this time of year that I have to remind myself of December 21st, for this is when the days will start to gain a bit more daylight again.  Bit by bit the darkness will fade, and that tends to be how I feel this time of year.  Bit by bit my darkness starts to creep in.  With the days getting shorter it's imperative that I pay attention to the fact that I'm greatly affected by this change in season.  It's a must that I get out more than usual, especially during daylight hours.  Activity is also a great thing.  The more I do, the less I can subconsciously succumb to the 'depression' that is Seasonal affective disorder.  There are days where I'd love to simply sleep in until noon, not because I'm sad or depressed, but because my body drags without the daylight.  I'd love to go to bed early, which we ALL know is totally unlike me, because it's dark at 5pm and by 8 it feels like it's been night for hours!!  Somehow this just slows my body down and my mood too. 

What amazes me the most though is simply how God works.  I've never been unprepared for what so many would be unprepared for.  The blessings that I have for a wonderful sense of self are beyond what so many have.  There are so many people in my life that I've been lucky enough to meet and get to know, and I always end up thinking the same thing.  "How do they not know themselves?"  To me it seems that there are so many people living in the cycle of insanity.  They keep doing the same things over and over, yet if they would just be still and listen.  I mean really listen, they'd know.  They'd know where they were suppose to be, how to get through what they're going through, how to really get to know themselves.  I can't imagine not knowing who I am, and what makes me function?  There may be things in my life I question, but the two things I will never question are myself and God.   As long as I know Him I will know myself.  This doesn't mean I will enjoy muddling through the darkened hours until the days get longer.  It simply means that I'm so grateful that I will never have to do it alone!!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment